Monday, October 2, 2006

State of the Gamer: Battlefield 2

So I finally get into the 21st century by dropping one of my text-based Internet games (too involving for a text game) and picking up a copy of Battlefield 2. I like to wait for the first price cut or a sale before buying a game, and it only took about 18 months for BF2 to go for less than $50. Needless to say, I'm a bit behind the current wave, but I'm enjoying the game nonetheless.

Battlefield 2 is a first-person shooter (FPS) with a modern warfare theme. The object is to make the opponent lose all his "tickets." To accomplish this, players interact as a team to take over capture points (flags) and, of course, kill each other.

My favorite role is the medic, who predictably is armed with med packs he can distribute to his teammates for points. The medic is also armed with a defibrillator, used to bring fallen teammates back from the dead! Since I did extensive work with defibrillators (read: changed their batteries) when I worked for the American Red Cross, I rightly assumed the role of medic would suit me perfectly.



The game keeps track of your stats, so you can brag to all the 15-year-olds how "1337" you are and how much you "pwnzor" with the "noob tube." I don't do any of that, mostly because I am not "1337" (or "elite," for those who read English and not morontype). Above are my stats in the form of a forum signature. Some of those stats must be broken; most significantly, kill streak. I've barely killed 20 people in one round (to win my silver Veteran Medic Combat Badge), and I died at least 10 times in that run. So where did I get 30? Not like I'm going to have them fix this glitch anytime soon, though. It's my only potential link to "1337ness".

Battlefield 2 is a lot of fun and it holds my attention. That's all I ask for, really.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I will own anyone at Madden, taking all challengers!

ev