Monday, January 14, 2008

More drivel that wasn't good enough for the forums: Who is the best Batman?

I need to see the first one again to see what I think of Keaton.

Clooney was the only Bruce Wayne that really showed us his "international playboy" (whatever that means) side--there was no doubt in anyone's mind that Clooney was just having a good time with whatever supermodel he was attached to, and that no one was going to be falling in love. I prefer that to "let's fall in love then hurriedly explain why the chick left between movies."

Having said that, and even though I said I need to see it again, Keaton was the best Batman, and Clooney was the best Bruce Wayne.

Bale is in a different class because his movie fully develops the Batman and Bruce Wayne characters as they were forming. Bruce Wayne insulting the party guests to keep them safe is something "older" Bruce Wayne wouldn't do--he'd find a classier way to do it. Rough, unrefined Bruce Wayne is practically a different character that can't be compared to the others. His enthusiasm for the gadgets is also different--he's not used to them like "older" Batman is, so at times he's almost giddy about doing stuff that later becomes pretty routine. So I'm going to exclude Bale in my determination of whose best, except to say that he did a great job with it.


----

Incidentally, I ended up posting this on the forums after some editing (and coming to a conclusion).

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Based on this topic alone, my love for you has gone from "good" to "awesome."

Lauryn said...

You forgot someone Herb! The best Batman is.... Garrett!....In a Batman Suit! hehe!

Mary "Sailor Tweek" McDowell said...

I have to say that I adored Keaton and Kilmer and Bat...men? But I believe the best Bruce Wayne was Bale.

As far as Clooney is concerned, I have made all memory of that movie disappear. That movie was terrible...worse than Nepolean Dynamite.

Best overall Batman will always be Kevin Conroy...although that's kinda cheating. You never really see him, but he is the VOICE of Batman.

Hey Herb...it's "Wylloah" by the way. ^_^ I've added you to my blog links.