Sunday, April 4, 2010

The Civic and the Citadel

Not recommended.

I own a 1994 Civic VX hatchback, teal in color. My good friend Tedd is helping me maintain and tinker with it. So far we've added a rear sway bar and rear lower control arms, though I've bought parts to do more. I managed to install a front tower bar, Del Sol seats, speakers and a radio by myself. No credit to me--that's how easy it is to work on a Civic.

Anyway, I have plans to do more. I have a front sway bar and a power steering system to add; it's just a matter of finding time to do it. I also want to buy new tires. The tires I have now are the correct size for all Civic hatchbacks made this year except for the VX, which uses smaller tires to achieve it's ridiculous MPG--it should get between 45 and 50! Right now it's been 40 and 42. It needs the tires and probably the correct spark plugs before I can try and figure out what else can change. Of course, in AZ I use the air conditioner 7 months out of the year so I can't expect to get 50 MPG then.

I digress. Tires--the tires I have are still good, but they're the wrong tires. Katie finally pseudo-agreed to allow me to buy tires, and even though she wasn't totally on board, I got a coupon for $50 off a set of four and decided to act. Long story short, Discount Tire didn't follow through like it said it would, so I have no tires and the coupon is expired. Maybe that's for the best, but still.

Another goal is to get a new gas tank. The stock gas tank holds 10 gallons. At 50 MPG, that's plenty; at 40 MPG, it's definitely good enough. The aftermarket tank, however, holds 13.5 gallons! So even if I'm stuck at 40 MPG, that's still over 500 miles of range, which is probably enough to get from Tucson to Anaheim without stopping for gas. Is this important? It depends on your perspective. On one hand, if I'm ever driving to California, I'll have Katie with me, and we're going to have to stop to pee. On the other hand, if I don't have to worry about finding a gas station, we can stop anywhere, including the super fast food complex in or near Indio (?) that DOESN'T have a gas station. Anyway, that's why I want a bigger gas tank.

Today I was poking around and discovered I can replace my old filament lights with LED lights. I thought it would be more complex, like I would have to rig something myself to keep the OEM lights with LED bulbs, but there are more than a few companies that sell LED lights that fit in the normal sockets. There's a lot of crap out there, though, and unfortunately I don't have the tech skills to tell the crap from the good stuff. However, there's at least one brand that seems to be trusted by everyone who has gone through them (so far), so I'm considering changing over all my car lights (except for the headlights, cluster lights, and dome light) to LEDs. Why? Practically speaking, they can be brighter and use less power, which converts to more efficiency and safety. But really, it's because it's a modification I can probably do myself that will be fun.

Finally, the Citadel. Sadly, I am speaking of Icecrown Citadel, the final raid zone in the current World of Warcraft expansion. Ten of us in my guild managed to beat the Lich King and complete the zone this past week, which is sort of like beating the game, if such a thing were actually possible. Even so, it's a big deal for me, because I wasn't playing WoW before the first expansion, and I came nowhere near to beating the "last boss" in the first expansion. It made me happy. OK? Fine then.

No comments: